Sunday, March 31, 2013

March Madness Day 8, Part 2

Louisville 85, Duke 63
I didn't catch as much of this game as any of the others in this round. And I think that was a blessing (more on that later). Honestly when I turned on the TV at halftime and saw that Duke was only down 3, I was shocked. Duke is a good team, but Louisville had consistently looked better than the field in every moment I had seen of them in this tournament.

In the second half things went about as I had expected. Louisville's suffocating defense took its toll on Duke (36.5% from the field) and Louisville's offense actually improved in the second half (they scored 50 points), and the top seed in the entire field moved on to the Final Four.

During the second half, Celinda hopped on facebook/twitter and saw the hubbub surrounding Louisville's Kevin Ware and his injury. She declared she had no interest in seeing it. I also had no interest in seeing it, but part of me felt obligated to see it, given I'm running a pool and providing daily updates on the games in the tournament. Before I made my final decision I hopped onto twitter, where I saw this tweet from Fox NFL reporter Jay Glazer:




The two sports he's involved in are NFL football and MMA. If an MMA guy is saying that, I should probably listen to him.

In the end, I didn't. I watched the first two shots CBS had of it, and immediately closed the window I was watching. I didn't see a close-up (I didn't want to see something I wouldn't be able to un-see), but I did see his leg buckle in a thoroughly unnatural way. I have to agree with the consensus, don't go looking for it (though I'd be happy to get feedback from anyone who watched this game live during this episode).

Celinda said it best (paraphrasing), "You knew that when this happened it would either break Louisville or they'd come back stronger." For Kevin Ware's sake, I'm glad Louisville came back stronger.

No comments:

Post a Comment