Friday, March 22, 2013

March Madness Day 1 Recap

Welcome, all to the 13th annual Kofron Pool. *%$#%^*ing New Mexico.

Thank you all for signing up once again (or for the first time) for my particular brand of madness. The game commentary is up in separate posts, so feel free to go browse around and come back afterwards. Don't worry, I'll wait.

Oh who am I kidding, it's after midnight, so don't take too long.

So before we get to the shoutouts and condemnations, I figured I'd answer the question you're all dying to know the answer to: how did Miles pick his bracket. You may remember how much of a process it was to figure out how to have him select his bracket last year. If not, check it out. This year was a much simpler process. This year, I simply asked Miles who would win, Team 1 or Team 2. You can see a few of his picks below.



And yes, we think he picked Georgetown for Curious George. As good a reason as any, right? Considering he's a whopping 1 point behind me, maybe I should take some pointers from him.

The Leaderboard
1. Joe P - 14 pts
T2. Sue G - 13 pts
T2. Jen K - 13 pts
T2. Ed K - 13 pts
T2. Joe M - 13 pts
T2. Alec P - 13 pts
T2. Doreen R - 13 pts
T2. Melissa R - 13 pts
T2. Dave R - 13 pts
T2. Jimmy T - 13 pts
T2. Ryan W - 13 pts
Last: Tony C - 7 pts

Shoutouts
To Donald B, Sue G, Zahra, Miles, Doreen R, and Jimmy T. All of you correctly predicted that Harvard would win it's first round matchup over #3 seed New Mexico. Bonus points considering this is Harvard's first NCAA tournament win ever.

To Shelly P and Rachel G, for picking the lowest seed, a 4 (Michigan and St. Louis, respectively) to win it all.

To Danny B, for picking a 12-seed (Cal) to make the Final Four, easily the riskiest Final Four pick in the pool.

To Alec Baldwin, I'm enjoying the Baldwin and Charles Barkley Capital One commercials...though I'm sure I won't anymore by Day 3.

To Bill Raftery, my favorite March Madness commentator with Gus Johnson at Fox. Between his "ONIONS!" call, the excitement he brings, and his jokes at his partner's expense, easily the best of CBS' stable.

This year's PC Application for watching games. It's free (unlike last year) and there's more information at your fingertips (box scores, player box scores) than in the past.

To Colorado State's Jon Octeus, for the best name of Day 1. Hat tip to Celinda for calling him Optimus Prime.

To Clint Dempsey, for being named the US National Soccer Team's captain for the 2 World Cup qualifiers coming up in the next week. I'd have named Michael Bradley captain, but I'm sure Klinsmann has the pulse of the locker room. Wait, what?

Condemnations
To this year's PC Application. Why? You can't switch games during commercials!!!!! ARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!

To the referees in the Cal-UNLV game. For why, check the game recap.

For long days and too much work, which severely cramps basketball watching.

To the Patriot League, which remains the Ivy League without the academic presumption. And apparently, without the basketball talent either. Bye bye Bucknell.

To New Mexico. Really? To Harvard? Seriously? At least I had company with worthless New Mexico in my Final Four. 8 of us lost a Final Four team to the Ivy League. I wish I had heard how New Mexico has never even reached the Sweet 16 before I filled out my bracket, instead of during this game.

Tweet of the night Shameless self-promotion

Seriously, that one guy kept draining threes. Why did you keep leaving him open?

Enjoy Day 2!

1 comment:

  1. Picking his own bracket at 2! It can only get beter from here little man.

    ReplyDelete