Thursday, September 5, 2013

2013 NFL Preview: Part 2 - The Results

So yesterday I ranked the 32 NFL teams in terms of where I thought their seasons would end up. Now I outline exactly how I see the 2013-14 NFL season shaking out. 

Just like last year, let's start out by looking at our playoff history year-to-year:

Year
League
1
2
3
4
5
6
2002
AFC
Raiders
Titans
Steelers
Jets
Colts
Browns
NFC
Eagles
Buccaneers
Packers
49ers
Giants
Falcons
2003
AFC
Patriots
Chiefs
Colts
Ravens
Titans
Broncos
NFC
Eagles
Rams
Panthers
Packers
Seahawks
Cowboys
2004
AFC
Steelers
Patriots
Colts
Chargers
Jets
Broncos
NFC
Eagles
Falcons
Packers
Seahawks
Rams
Vikings
2005
AFC
Colts
Broncos
Bengals
Patriots
Jaguars
Steelers
NFC
Seahawks
Bears
Buccaneers
Giants
Panthers
Redskins
2006
AFC
Chargers
Ravens
Colts
Patriots
Jets
Chiefs
NFC
Bears
Saints
Eagles
Seahawks
Cowboys
Giants
2007
AFC
Patriots
Colts
Chargers
Steelers
Jaguars
Titans
NFC
Cowboys
Packers
Seahawks
Buccaneers
Giants
Redskins
2008
AFC
Titans
Steelers
Dolphins
Chargers
Colts
Ravens
NFC
Giants
Panthers
Vikings
Cardinals
Falcons
Eagles
2009
AFC
Colts
Chargers
Patriots
Bengals
Jets
Ravens
NFC
Saints
Vikings
Cowboys
Cardinals
Packers
Eagles
2010
AFC
Patriots
Steelers
Colts
Chiefs
Ravens
Jets
NFC
Falcons
Bears
Eagles
Seahawks
Saints
Packers
2011
AFC
Patriots
Ravens
Texans
Broncos
Steelers
Bengals
NFC
Packers
49ers
Saints
Giants
Falcons
Lions
2012
AFC
Broncos
Patriots
Texans
Ravens
Colts
Bengals
NFC
Falcons
49ers
Packers
Redskins
Seahawks
Vikings

I said last year that since 2002, never had fewer than 5 new teams made the postseason each year. If I said that again I'd be a liar, as last year only 4 new teams crashed the party. Well this year I'm doubling down against the 5-teams rule. This year only 3 of the 12 teams from last year's playoffs will fail to return. 

So, how will it all shake out? Here's what I came up with.

AFC
NFC
Team
W
L
T
Team
W
L
T
New England Patriots (2)
11
5
0
New York Giants (4)
10
6
0
Miami Dolphins
8
8
0
Washington Redskins
9
7
0
Buffalo Bills
6
10
0
Dallas Cowboys
9
7
0
New York Jets
2
14
0
Philadelphia Eagles
5
11
0
Team
W
L
T
Team
W
L
T
Cincinnati Bengals (4)
10
6
0
Green Bay Packers (1)
12
4
0
Baltimore Ravens (5)
10
6
0
Chicago Bears
10
6
0
Pittsbugh Steelers (6)
9
7
0
Minnesota Vikings
7
9
0
Cleveland Browns
7
9
0
Detroit Lions
5
11
0
Team
W
L
T
Team
W
L
T
Houston Texans (3)
11
5
0
Atlanta Falcons (3)
11
5
0
Indianapolis Colts
8
8
0
New Orleans Saints (6)
10
6
0
Tennessee Titans
6
10
0
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
8
8
0
Jacksonville Jaguars
4
12
0
Carolina Panthers
6
10
0
Team
W
L
T
Team
W
L
T
Denver Broncos (1)
13
3
0
Seattle Seahawks (2)
11
5
0
Kansas City Chiefs
8
8
0
San Francisco 49ers (5)
11
5
0
San Diego Chargers
5
11
0
St. Louis Rams
8
8
0
Oakland Raiders
2
14
0
Arizona Cardinals
4
12
0

Giving us a playoff picture of

2013      Predicted
AFC
Broncos
Patriots
Texans
Bengals
Ravens
Steelers
NFC
Packers
Seahawks
Falcons
Giants
49ers
Saints

First, let's take a look at the 3 teams that won't be returning to the postseason in January:
  •  Indianapolis Colts – The way they won 11 games last year (so many close wins versus almost no close losses) simply doesn't seem sustainable. I believe in Andrew Luck, I just believe the breaks won't go Indy's way as often this year. 
  • Washington Redskins – This is less a referendum on Griffin (though I believe his stats will be worse this year, either due to caution or injury) than their defense. I think they achieved their late-season hot streak with smoke and mirrors, and I don't see it working again well enough to take the division. 
  • Minnesota Vikings – Christian Ponder will need to up his game to return the Vikings to the postseason. Spoiler alert: he won't. 
Now, here are the 3 teams that will replace them:
  • Pittsburgh Steelers – I'm very shaky on this pick. Either Pittsburgh will rally and find their way back into the playoffs again on the back of a resurgent defense and a healthy Roethlisberger, or things will completely fall apart and they'll finish behind Cleveland. I'm betting on the former, but I don't feel great about it. 
  • New York Giants – My pick in the Redskins to miss the postseason is as much faith in the Giants to pull themselves together to get into the postseason as it is a belief that the Redskins will regress. 
  • New Orleans Saints – There will be no problem with focus and motivation with this team. Add in a lethal offense and that should get them back into the postseason. 
Once we reach the postseason, I see a team winning its first ever Super Bowl title. You can probably guess who if you read yesterday's column. 

WILD CARD ROUND
AFC (3v6)
Texans over Steelers
AFC (4v5)
Ravens over Bengals
NFC (3v6)
Falcons over Saints
NFC (4v5)
49ers over Giants
DIVISIONAL ROUND
AFC (1v5)
Broncos over Ravens
AFC (2V3)
Patriots over Texans
NFC (1V5)
49ers over Packers
NFC (2V3)
Seahawks over Falcons
CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND
AFC CHAMPIONSHIP
Broncos over Patriots
NFC CHAMPIONSHIP
Seahawks over 49ers
SUPER BOWL
SB XLVII
Seahawks over Broncos


     I can't believe I did that. I picked my favorite team to win the Super Bowl. I'd like to chalk this up to maturity, as in I'm no longer so superstitious that I would refuse to pick my team to win a game, let alone a Super Bowl. Fortunately, when my predicition goes the way of practically all of my other NFL predictions, I'm sure this "maturity" will vanish into thin air. 

    Will it end up this way? Almost certianly not. But that's the beauty of the NFL, something unexpected is going to happen, and it's going to be fun to watch. And whatever does happen, football is back for another season. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment